Thursday, September 9, 2010

Our Chickens And Cats

We have about ten Rhode Island red hens, one Ameraucana rooster and three cats. We have four chicken houses. We only use one chicken house currently. My brother and I rotate daily on feeding our animals. We feed and water the chickens and cats in the mornings ,and check their water again in the evenings because of the Texas heat. We feed the chickens Home Grown brand hen layer and the cats just regular cat food. We give the chickens all our food scraps. My brother and I have to clean the chicken coops out about once a month and put fresh hay in their egg laying boxes. Our chickens produce brown eggs and we sell them for two dollars a dozen. Even though their egg lay greatly depends on the weather if it is too warm or too cold they do not lay as well. My brother sells most of the eggs at church. He also cleans most of them. My dad buys clear egg cartons from Mcmurrey egg hatchery.

We own three cats who stay outside and take care of mice and snakes. But the cats come at a price always being in the way. We used to have more chickens but we have had horrible problems with coyotes, dogs, and foxes. Our chickens teach us character by obligating us to wake up early to feed water and collect their eggs each morning.

3 comments:

  1. Son,

    Finally!

    You have written something on your blog and I can tell that you have a talent for writing. I am proud of your first but NOT last post.

    Love you much,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Son,

    I am so proud of you and your writing. I think that you will become a great writer and orator. I know you have a great destiny and God is going to use you. Don't forget your future belongs to God. I love you and think your the "BEST":) Thanks for being my firstborn.

    Love Dad

    ReplyDelete